Monday, August 18, 2008

Meditation or what?

I have been reflecting on how little silence we have in our lives. As LDS people how do we find time for this? I know that we are told to pray and to read our scriptures and to meditate. That all sounds easy but for those of you with a household full of children, appliances, televisions, game systems and everything else, you know how hard that is.

My mother and I had a discussion about how times change and I told her I thought it would be nice to go back in time when the physical labor was harder but you didn't have to worry so much about other problems like violence or media influences. She felt like times hadn't changed and that the problems were the same today. My thought is that while there would have been more work to do to stay alive there would have been some serenity in working in the garden alone with your thoughts, or while you used a washboard. We now shove the washer full, turn a dial and we are off to the next appointment, show or whatever is going on. I also think that maybe even being a member of the church "back in the day" could have had it's bonuses. No Sunday mornings of constant telephone calls from people needing you to do this or that or telling you that they wouldn't be able to do their part.

I am glad to be here in this day and age. I am a technology nut. I love it. I'm glad that I can blog in multiple blogs in the same time it took someone to make one journal entry before they even had a ball point pen. Can you imagine? I am glad that there is a chapel three blocks from my house and that I can call in sick from my calling. Still, I wish I had a garden of silence where I could just work with my own thoughts.

No comments: