Sunday, October 19, 2008

Teaching right and wrong along with acceptance.

One of my great parenting worries is that we are pretty good at teaching right from wrong but I want my children to know what is right for them without being judgemental of others.

For example, this evening we were watching Extreme Make Over, Home Edition. My 10 year old pointed out that they say the Lord's name in vain a lot! I have noticed this as well. Our family enjoys seeing the good that this show accomplishes and I like that it teaches the kids to be happy for others and what they receive. I have noticed how often the Lord's name is used in vain though and it does bother me. I use certain swear words quite often but nothing bothers me more than this one.

What my 10 year old pointed out to me struck me pretty hard and I immediately tried to teach him that most people in the world do not believe the way we do on this and so they may not know that there is a problem with it. Nonetheless, I worried the children can become desensitized to hearing this phrase. Then if they hear it so much, will it become part of their vocabulary too? I would imagine that it would be hard to hear something so much and not have it be in your head.

I am now rethinking our watching of this show. The show is not evil, that is not what I am trying to imply. I just wonder how great it is for kids to hear this phrase.

In the end my worry is mainly that my children will not be able to stand strong and still love others for what they are. I also want them to know that they don't always have to focus on someones perceived faults. Enough rambling for now!

No comments: